Spotlight First Novel Competition
Deadline: 14th February 2018
Can you write a winning synopsis?
A synopsis is a key document for the novelist. This is the place to set out your ideas in condensed form. It operates on a number of levels; initially as a projection of the novel you aim to write, in the intermediate as a working tool and finally as a selling tool.
We are offering one lucky winner a major showcase plus invaluable input and support.
A Stage One mentoring package worth up to £990.00.*
A Spotlight on you and your novel.*
Your synopsis (before and after) posted online.
*A Stage One Mentoring package for a novel of up to 550 pages/170,000 words including a full manuscript appraisal, a development strategy and two consultations.
*A dedicated page on the Adventures in Fiction website including a profile of you, your novel and your winning synopsis.
A one-page synopsis
The first page of your novel
Entry fee: £16.00*
*We can accept applications by post or online.
Synopsis: 12 pt. Aim for space and a half
First page: 12 pt. Double-spaced
Include your name and contact information on both pages.
Send your first page and your synopsis, along with a cheque for £16.00 made payable to Adventures in Fiction to:
Adventures In Fiction
14, Grosvenor Avenue
(If you would like an acknowledgment, please include a stamped self-addressed postcard.)
Step 1. Sign up now. Pay the entry fee of £16.00 here.
Step 2. Contact by email
Include confirmation (date of payment)
+ Attach your first page and synopsis (preferably as word documents)
The winner should be prepared to submit the manuscript of their novel in hard copy (12pt, double-spaced, single side of the paper only) to Adventures in Fiction by the beginning of April.
This is an excellent opportunity to promote your work and gain some valuable input and support.
Best of luck!
Terms and Conditions
- The competition is open to unpublished novelists in all genres, regardless of location. (Adventures in Fiction has a broad national and international client base.)
- Current and previous apprentices are not eligible.
- Your competition entry will not be returned.
- We respect your copyright. (For your peace of mind, we recommend that you add your copyright as follows: © Your Name 2012)
- Submissions should be original works written in English.
- We cannot enter into discussion about individual entries.
- Our decision is final.
- Applications without an entry fee will be inadmissible.
- The entry fee applies to a single entry.
- Multiple entries are eligible on a fee per entry basis.
- We cannot be held responsible for entries lost in the post.